Chapter 1 – Internet and Web Basics
The Internet and the Web are parts of our daily lives. How did they begin? What networking protocols and programming languages work behind the scenes to display a web page? This chapter provides an introduction to some of these topics and is a foundation for the information that web developers need to know.
This chapter also gets you started with your very first web page. You'll be introduced to Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), the language used to create web pages. Resource websites and chapter links are listed below.
The Evolution of the Web
Explore the evolution of the Web. The web is an ever-expanding universe of interlinked web pages and web apps, displaying videos, photos, music, and interactive content. What the typical person doesn't see is the interplay of web technologies and browsers that makes all this possible.... Explore at http://evolutionofweb.appspot.com/?hl=en.
History of the Internet and the Web
- A Brief History of the Internet
- Internet History Timeline
- The History of the World Wide Web
- Early Web Browsers
- WAI - Web Accessibility Initiative
- WCAG 2.1 - Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- WCAG 2.2 - Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- New Features in WCAG 2.2
- Section 508
- IITAA - Illinois Information Technology Accessibilty Act
Intellectual Property and Copyright
- WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization
- Creative Commons Copyright
Example of a Creative Commons Copyright: Color Blender
Operating Systems and File Extensions
No updates have been reported for this chapter.
Questions or Comments
The author would like to hear from you!
Feel free to contact the author with your questions or comments.
Review activities are available for this chapter. Check your knowledge of chapter terms and concepts.