Announcing the 6th Edition — Available Early 2021!
The 6th edition of the popular Basics of Web Design: HTML5 & CSS textbook builds on the successful 5th edition of this textbook.
The 6th edition expands the treatment of CSS Flexbox and Grid Layout Systems and continues to integrate HTML and CSS topics such as text configuration, color configuration, and page layout with an enhanced focus on the topics of design, accessibility, and Web standards.
Table of Contents (PDF)
- Additional Hands-On Practice exercises
- Updated code samples, case studies, and web resources
- Updates for HTML5 elements and attributes
- Expanded treatment of page layout design and responsive web design techniques
- Expanded treatment of CSS Flexible Layout Module (Flexbox) and CSS Grid Layout systems
- Expanded coverage of responsive image techniques including lazy loading
- Updated reference sections for HTML5 and CSS
The 5th Edition
The 5th edition of the popular Basics of Web Design: HTML5 & CSS textbook builds on the successful earlier editions of this textbook. The 5th edition includes a major update with a focus on new CSS layout systems! Chapter 8 has been renamed Responsive Layout Basics! This chapter introduces the new CSS Flexbox Layout and CSS Grid Layout Systems.
Table of Contents (PDF)
The 5th edition is available at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and other popular booksellers!
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
A First Course in Web Design
The popular Basics of Web Design: HTML5 & CSS textbook provides a foundation in the skills and concepts that web designers need:
- Internet and Web concepts overview
- Create web pages with HTML5
- Configure color and text with CSS
- Configure page layout with CSS
- Configure images
- Configure multimedia
- Apply Web Design Best Practices
- Design accessible and usable web pages
- Design for search engine optimization
- Choose a domain name
- Publish to the Web
Comprehensive instructor materials are available for the Basics of Web Design HTML5 & CSS3 book.
Instructors and faculty can access free downloads of:
- sample syllabi
- exercise solutions
- case study solutions
- PowerPoint presentations
- sample test questions
- website project activity with milestone assignments
- a group website design evaluation activity
- a group WebQuest activity
Chapter Review Games
Review activities are available for each chapter on this website.
Some instructors use these as group activities in the classroom. They also can be made available for independent student self-assessment activities. Students can use these activities to check their knowledge of concepts and terms.
About the Author
Dr. Terry Ann Morris has a unique background that combines both practical and academic experience with years of working in industry as well as many years teaching technology courses.
An award-winning instructor, her hands-on approach to teaching web design enables students to become productive quickly. More Author Info
Where to Get the 4th Edition:
Rental copies of the 4th edition are available at the following resources:
Free 4th Edition Student Files
As a service to students, the 4th Edition Student Files resource is available as a free download. Get your free download of the 4th Edition Student Files!