Chapter 11 – Multimedia & Interactivity Basics
Videos and sounds on your web pages can make them more interesting and informative. This chapter introduces you to working with multimedia and interactive elements on web pages. Methods to add audio, video, and Flash to your web pages are introduced. Sources of these media types, the HTML code needed to place the media on a web page, and suggested uses of the media are discussed. You'll also create an interactive image gallery with CSS and explore new CSS3 properties. Adding the right touch of multimedia and interactivity to a web page can make it engaging and compelling for your visitors.
Audio & Video
Conversion to Ogg Theora Codec
Free Online Video Converters
Media, Accessibility & Standards
- Audacity Free Download
- Internet Archive
- Video Captioning
- Workarounds for older versions of IE
- Adobe Resources
Easy Ways to Use Multimedia
- Free & Customizable Flash MP3 player
- Free & Customizable Flash Photo Viewer
- Free & Customizable Web Audio Player Download
CSS3 Transform Property
- Webkit: http://webkit.org/blog/130/css-transforms
- Mozilla: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-transform
- Opera: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/css3-transitions-and-2d-transforms/#transforms
- Internet Explorer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/ff468705.aspx#_CSS3_2D_Transforms
- W3C: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-2d-transforms
- Generate CSS Transform Code: http://westciv.com/tools/transforms/index.html
- CSS3 Transform Generator: http://www.css3maker.com/css3-transform.html
CSS3 Transition Property
- Inspring Transition Examples
- W3C: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transitions
- CSS Easing Animation Tool: http://matthewlein.com/ceaser/
- CSS3 Transition Generator: http://www.css3maker.com/css3-transition.html
HTML5 Canvas Element
- http://www.chromeexperiments.com (look for experiments with “canvas” in the title)
HTML5 Design Guidelines
- There are no updates for this chapter.
Questions or Comments
The author would like to hear from you!
Feel free to complete the contact form with your questions or comments.
Review activities are available for this chapter. Check your knowledge of chapter terms and concepts.
Web Sources of Media Files